Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bruno Mars, Gamma Loser


I don't know what it is, but I like this little guy's music. I especially like to annoy my kids by singing his songs and dancing to them, at the top of my lungs, because they are just fun to sing. I also like singing Michael Buble songs; he has a real Sinatra-esque quality to him, but he's no Harry Connick Jr. Anyway, back to Mr. Mars: the guy is a real talent, and I really wish him well with his career.

Where I would like to offer criticism, though, is in two areas that I observe. First, and the minor point, is that I find it unfortunate for him to identify with the American black ghetto culture. Yes, he's going for a Michael Jackson style, but the guy is a Filipino, and it's my opinion that he should aim a bit higher up the cultural scale. He does have cross cultural appeal, as evidenced by the fact that a 40-something square white father of five is a fan, but it might be even greater if he dropped the ghetto stuff.

Second, almost all of his lyrics imply that he is a Vox Gamma or low Delta. He is always singing to his woman as if she's the best thing ever (pedestalizing: your sex takes me to paradise), and how if only he had treated her better she would still be with him (now my baby's dancing, but she's dancing with another man). Here's a tip, Bruno: sing about how you aren't a loser and maybe your baby would stay and dance with YOU. I know that there's a theory that the lyrics of male singers going for female fans can be viewed through the female lens, but that's not what Mars does. He's the angst-ridden loser trying to hold on to his woman, and get sympathy from her from his songs.

I am able to teach some of the better Game concepts to my older son using these songs, though, and older ones like "Jesse's Girl". (My son thinks Rick Springfield is a loser that needs to get his own girlfriend!) My hope is that he will have WAY more confidence around girls than I did as a teen, and I think he's well on his way. He is not an "alpha", but that's fine, he's in the delta/beta range perhaps. Having sisters near his age certainly gives him an advantage I didn't have.

3 comments:

Res Ipsa said...

I think you have to consider that boy bands are all about producing a product for the 12 to 14 year old female. The pedestalizing may just be good marketing. I bet he gets plenty of teenage sex back stage.

Astrosmith said...

Hopefully he hasn't taken the Jackson thing too far, and that sex is with girls.

Note that there are no white men in that video. There are several white women, dancing their hearts out in white-guilt, multicultural, sexual glee, but there are no white guys.

My goal: keeping my daughters out of Bruno Mars videos.

Res Ipsa said...

I hear ya.